Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Leaving Home

Leaving Home and Moving Out

I was talking to my friend about this and I decided to make it into a video/post.

Video at the end

So in my culture it is customary to live at home with our parents until we get married. But as we are progressing into the modern era, it's more common to leave home once we have a stable job. I understand this so well. My parents pay for everything that I do but I was getting a little stir crazy living at home. I know I won't be getting a job any time soon because I can  hardly focus on school let alone another major obligation like a job! But I really needed out from under my parents' constant watch.
The good thing about going to university far away is that I get to experience what it is like to live away from my parents. I still live close enough to be able to go home every weekend, but they don't get to tell me what to do during the week. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful or spoiled, I love my parents and I'm super appreciative of everything they've provided for me in my life, I just needed a little freedom.
There was one point a few years ago where something major happened in my life and I just couldn't handle staying at home anymore. That came right before I moved out for school. I feel like school is the perfect opportunity because I know it's no temporary and I just need it to get the feel of what it will be like without them.
Of course it doesn't have to be temporary for you, I have friends who are staying where they went to school and some who moved out right after high school. But for me, I can't wait to go back home with my parents.

Some things I experienced from moving out:
 -Cooking - I never cooked at home, my mom was one of those moms that did everything. I am still trying to survive every day. No daily instant noodles just yet though.
 -Cleaning - We had a cleaner come to our house once a month and on the other days, my mom would do the cleaning. All I ever did was leave piles of stuff and my mom would get to it. Now that I'm on my own, I have to tell myself to wash the dishes right away, I have to mop or sweep, I have to dust and tidy things so it doesn't look too messy.
-Bills - I live in a place that just has a monthly rent so I don't really have to focus on rent, but I do see how important it is to not forget to pay every month.
-Lonely - This is probably the biggest one for me. It is so lonely here. I didn't get matched up with the roommate that I request and I don't particularly enjoy talking to any of the girls here so I'm pretty lonely throughout the week. I basically just sit in my room and go on youtube all day.

There are of course wonderful things about being away from home:
- No schedule - This can be good or bad depending on how you are. I like not having my mom come into my room at midnight and asking me "Why are you still awake? It's so late right now." But if you're a master procrastinator like me, you'll end up spending all day on youtube and not doing any homework.
-Snacks - This is what I was most excited about! When my sister and I used to go to the grocery store with our mom, we would always walk down the chip aisle and point out everything that we wanted. My mom likes sweets more than she likes savory snacks so we rarely have any at home. One day when I have my own home, I am so going to get a chip cupboard! Just every type out there!
-Sleeping - You can go to sleep and wake up at any hour without parents waking you up or telling you to sleep
-No one to bother you - This goes hand in hand with the lonely one and the schedule one. Basically there is no one to tell you what to do or to barge into your room to check up on you and see what you are doing. And there is no one to constantly berate you to do homework!!

 Now that I have experienced these things, I can't wait to finish school and move back home. I was very happy during the summer being at home with my mom every day, we had a routine down and got along with each other. And now every Sunday when I have to drive to school again, I get super sad and reluctant to leave.

I made a video below saying the same things so if you don't want to read everything, just click play.



Video here:





My links to check out:

Youtube - Cattyliu816 - subscribe to see when I upload videos
Twitter - Cattyliu816 - follow me to see when I update or just to read my thoughts
Cat's Disney Obsession Blog - I really love all things Disney
Summary of Things Blog - see just about how many things I watch
Tigger Adventures Instagram - my Tigger toy loves going on Disney adventures with me
Personal Instagram - Just a bunch of selfies (not really) and Disney things
Facebook Page - I post blog updates and random links I find online (this is your last resort of reaching me)

No comments:

Post a Comment