Monday, May 16, 2016

Reality is Real


 October of last year, I made a post about getting a new job and how excited I was about it at the time. (Link here) Now it is seven months later and things have changed. I've made a bunch of videos (and probably blog posts) about what a terrible supervisor my boss is. The reality of working at a small company is that you have to take up a lot of responsibilities because there's no one else to do it. I'm currently working at a place that sells optical crystal awards that can be customized/engraved to the customer's preferences.
 When I was first hired, I was told I would be an assistant who would help with office things and try to get the social media accounts up and running. I got the Facebook page started which is what my boss wanted me to do but he doesn't realize that you need to have followers or else posting things is just irrelevant. When I was trying to get the Facebook page set up, I told the boss (and his wife who works from home for the company) that we need to update our website and our email signatures to include the Facebook link because there's no other way to get our name out there that I know of.
 Now that task was a flop, I also had to help with one of the two companies that they have in the office. One of the companies is a wholesale and the other one is a supplier. I still don't really understand the difference but I am the one who takes the calls and processes the orders for the wholesale company. It's quite simple, most people just want one or two items blank so all I have to do is make an invoice and get the items from the back.
 Another thing I had to do was go in to our warehouse and write with pen on paper the location of every single box of product we had. That took a few weeks because there were seven aisles of merchandise piled up to the ceiling. After writing it down by hand, I had to input it into the computer on an excel file. I sent that to the boss early December but she didn't even upload it onto the company's joint google doc account until January. Over the December holiday, she made a list of all of our stock and sent it to me with the power to edit the numbers of how many we have. So now every time someone takes something out of the stock room, I have to mark down how many removed and where on the warehouse map it was removed from. (New role: warehouse manager?)
 Around February, one of my two coworkers wanted a raise, tried to quit, got a raise and ended up with less tasks than before he got the raise. Then our company got suddenly busy and I had to pick up the phone for the supplier part of the company and help process some orders because the guy who got the raise wasn't doing any of the work.
 And then come March, my boss decided to purchase and install a graphics program into my computer and tell me to learn how to use it because I will start doing the artwork for the people who want to personalize their awards.



Bad morals. We often get calls with issues and we have to say "it's in our terms" even though the terms were just updated and they are completely unfair. they're just there to save the skin of the management. they don't even make sense

No comments:

Post a Comment