Thursday, October 24, 2019

How Do You Find Your Passion?


I want to first preface this with yes, I know this is the most first-world problem ever and yes, I know most people are not as fortunate as to be faced with this problem. But fortunately, I do have this problem and I want to solve it in the best way.


Let us begin


 So I am fortunate because my family is well off enough that I don't have to work at all and I can still live at home. But there comes a time when we (I) should get a job just to have something to do every day and so that we (I) don't leave the nest and move in with a significant other and stay home every single day doing the same old nothings. But being fortunate enough to not need more money, I haven't found a thing I want to do with my life. I have never been the smart one, nor the studious one, nor the intelligent one. At least not in my family. My brother and sister are far superior to me in terms of relevant and important information that can be held in their brains. I on the other hand just watch shows and youtube and talk about Disney or Pokemon all the time.


 My dad recently had a chat with me about finding a job - even a boring meaningless one - because I'm at a "marriageable age" and do not want to present myself to my in-laws as unemployed. I for once agreed with him. In the past, I fought back (for no reason) just because I didn't like being told what to do. But now I am at the point that I agree and I do want to have a job and something to do.


  Here comes the problem: I don't know what I want to do but I know what I don't want to do. (This is where people might get annoyed) I don't want to have to wake up at 7 or 8am because I can't wake up that early. I don't want to have to come home at 7 or 8pm because I get hungry early and often. I don't want to drive too far because I hate driving and sitting in traffic (who doesn't). I don't want to work in a small office where you only interact with the same 2 to 20 people every single day and everyone knows everyone else's business and there is a lot of gossip going on. (We all know gossip gets you nowhere. Why not just get the facts and not tell other peoples' secrets?) It would be great if I didn't work for a shady Asian company (I have worked for two of those already) where the bosses cut corners and expect you to do things on your own time without compensation and fire you for having ideas and (the best way to put this) "American ideals."


   Of course, the best job I am suited for is to be someone's assistant whether personal or professional. I've always told my interviewers - and this is true - that I am an organized person and love keeping things in order and on schedule. My proudest talent is being able to know where everything is at all times and knowing what people want before they want it. Examples: If I see someone leave their phone or an important item somewhere and they are looking for it an hour later I can remind them exactly where they last put it because something as insignificant as placing something down is something I will take note of. Another thing is once I get to know someone well enough and understand their habits (as humans are creatures are habits) as well as likes and dislikes. I am able to predict when something will be requested of me before it is asked for - documents, files, information, schedulings, and such.


  On another hand, it would be incredible to work in a creative space. Whether just being in the administrative or assistive side of it or actually being hands-on and in the action. I truly believe that if I could find a company that does things I can be proud to talk about, I wouldn't care how I am compensated by that company nor how hard I have to work as long as I feel appreciated. I applied to work at Wizarding World in Universal Studios Hollywood a few summers ago and I got in. It was a grueling retail job and I always got stuck with the midnight shifts but I didn't want to quit nor did I complain about anything except the lack of good food and how much my back hurt from standing all the time. I actually loved the days I got to work in the wizard shops and be in character and talk about the magical world that I love and am passionate about. The pay was very little and I didn't get home until 2am every night that I worked because I live over an hour's drive away. But I still enjoyed going and putting on a uniform and helping people buy souvenirs at the end of a long and happy day in the theme park.


 My conclusion is...I don't know what to do. I know what I don't want to do. But I don't want to try and fail at a bunch of jobs.




No comments:

Post a Comment